The Altair Astro 80mm ED Triplet APO refractor has a 480mm focal length triplet lens cell with FPL53 ED glass and QC optical test report. Every telescope lens has a serial number represented on the optical test report - your guarantee of top optical quality.
The benefit of these special optics is razor sharp, high contrast images, without any colour aberrations whatsoever. Faint and subtle details can be observed visually or photographically, and stars have the true "diamonds on black velvet" appearance that only a high quality refractor can provide.
Optional reducer and flattener:
Planostar 0.8x M63 Reducer with M48 thread giving a focal ratio of F4.8 and 384mm focal length for wide field imaging (product code: RED80EDTXM63)
Planostar 1.0x M63 Flattener with M48 thread keeping focal ratio at F6 with 480mm focal length (product code: FLAT80EDTXM63)
The spacing from flange to sensor is 55mm for both reducer and flattener and the rear thread is M48 male.
The Wave Series 80mm ED Triplet is a very capable wide field imaging refractor, outperforming DSLR lenses costing several times the price in terms of star quality, contrast and with excellent colour correction. Faint and subtle details are visible thanks to the optics meeting a criteria of 0.95 Strehl or higher.
A rigid aluminium tube with two tube rings allows stable mounting for astro photography, and the rotating 2.5" Rack and Pinion CNC dual speed focuser keeps the telescope light and portable. The focuser rotates on Teflon-tipped adjustable screws, has CNC machined internal knife edge baffles, and 2" rear adapter with three thumbscrews, and a 2" to 1.25" self centring adapter with brass compression ring.
The optional Field flatteners can be attached directly by unscrewing the self centring rear assembly and removing it from the focuser. The CNC focuser is compatible with almost any commercial motor focuser, for perfect PC automated or manual focusing via the hand controller or USB port and ASCOM compatible software.
The finder shoe dovetail mount is compatible with the Altair Astro 60mm Deluxe RACI Finder Scope, the Altair Mini Guider 60, Mini Guider 50 or even the ultra compact Altair MG32 Mini Guider.
Altair Wave Series optics: Wave Series optics are repeatedly tested and re-figured at the final stages of production, until signed off by the optician in charge of the production batch. These lenses are modified in rotation and spacing, and we start off with far superior lenses to the "normal" production quality lenses offered by most manufacturers, from the original test plates. The best quality SFPL-53 Synthetic Fluorite or Super ED glass is used, with an Abbe number of 94.94. Lenses are fully annealed and cooled slowly to relieve internal stresses and striae. Each telescope has a serial number engraved on the front ring and a corresponding optical test report using green light which is approximately 30% more accurate than the usual red light used in testing due to it's shorter wavelength. Altair Astro was the first company to use this approach from 2014 with the Wave Series telescopes, and our optical contractors have a fully bedded in process to deliver what is considered by most to be the best 80mm triplet in the world today. Star tests speak for themselves, and colour correction is essentially perfect, as can be seen from the various observing reports and images taken with Wave Series refractors. Blue stars show negligible bloat in long exposure images, because the blue channel is particularly well controlled. Astigmatism and Coma are included in the report (many manufacturers do not include these factors). Each fringe image is a "snapshot in time" of the lens on the test bench. Vibration, air currents and other environmental factors can influence the image and the outcome of the report slightly, but steps are taken to minimise these during testing. Providing a test report is a useful way for us to assure that our our internal production quality is consistent from batch-to-batch. Please be aware this extra QC process adds a few months between production runs and there are often gaps in stock availability. You can click the "Notify when in stock" button to receive updates. This is not a "supermarket" telescope, therefore please always check with your dealer if the product is in stock.
Altair Wave Series Triplet 80mm APO Specifications & Features:
- Optical tube with air-spaced 80mm F6 Triplet ED lens system (480mm focal length)
- Ohara S-FPL53 ED (SD) glass element and mating elements housed in a precision adjustable CNC machined lens cell with temperature compensation interleaving. Strehl 0.95 or better according to our test process.
- Super-high transmission coating (STM Coating) on all air to glass surfaces.
- Resolving Power (Dawes Limit) 1.45 arc seconds
- Visual Limiting Magnitude 12.2 maximum
- Weight approx. 3.5kg, OTA length with dew shield retracted 36cm. With dew-shield extended, 41cm.
- Precision CNC machined components and tube made from light, tough aluminium alloy with matte powder coat and hard anodising. Tube is hard matte powder coated in Pearl White.
- Retractable lens shade / dew shield.
- 2.5" "Rack 'n Pinion" Geared dual speed focuser with 1:10 micro-focuser.
- Entire focuser rotates relative to the optical tube for easy photographic composition.
- Brass Teflon tension-adjustment screws and Teflon collet ensure focuser rotates smoothly, user-adjusted with a slot bladed screwdriver.
- Self-Centering 2" to 1.25" reducer with brass compression rings included.
- Front aluminium push-fit lens cap, rear plastic 1.25" dust plug.
- Standard 1.75" dovetail bar with stainless steel M6 cap-head screws included.
- Tube Rings with M6 threaded holes with 30mm spacing, compatible with Altair and most other mounting dovetail plates and bars.
- Hard Carry Case with foam insert, handle and keys. Case Dimensions 22cm Width x 45cm Length x 17.5cm Depth
Recommended products to use with your Wave Series 80 APO:
- 1.0x Field Flattener PlanoStar M63
- 0.8x Reducer PlanoStar M63
- Altair Sabre mount with Vixen dovetail clamp & Tripod (visual use)
- Altair 60mm deluxe RACI finder scope & bracket
- Altair 2" Premium dielectric diagonal
- Altair ULTRAFLAT eyepiece range, particularly the AAUF-24 24mm
- Altair Lightwave Premium APO Flat Field Barlow lens particularly the 2" x2 version FFTX2-2IN
- Altair Astro Imaging-Ready Solar Hershel Wedge - extremely sharp at high powers.
- DayStar Quark Hydrogen Alpha eyepiece filter (see solar images).
- DSLR or CMOS cameras like Altair GPCAM290, Hypercam 183 or 26C series.
- Altair MG32 Miniguider or MG60 60mm Guide Scopes
- Starwave or Altair TMS mounting system
- Altair Dewzapper 3-4" Dew Heater & Controller
- Clear Skies!